Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature
Skip Navigation Links >

Frequently Asked Questions About the Minnesota Legislature

If a state Representative or Senator resigns or dies in office, how is the vacancy filled?

In many cases, the vacancy is filled by a special election, called by the governor. If the vacancy occurs close to the date of a general election and the Legislature is not in session, then the vacancy is filled at the next state general election. See Minnesota Statutes, section 240D.17-240D.27 for further details.