The 2021 committee deadlines have been agreed to by House and Senate leadership in a signed letter from legislative leadership.
The committee deadlines are:
- 1st deadline - March 12, 2021
- 2nd deadline - March 19, 2021
- 3rd deadline - April 9, 2021
There is no yearly deadline for the introduction of bills. However, each year the Legislature establishes deadlines for committee action on bills. Committee deadlines are announced during the first half of a session in order to winnow the list of topics to be dealt with that year. Joint Rule 2.03 governs committee deadlines:
- "The deadlines do not apply to the House committees on Capital Investment, Ways and Means, Taxes, or Rules and Legislative Administration, nor to the Senate committees on Capital Investment, Finance, Taxes, or Rules and Administration."
- "The first deadline is for committees to act favorably on bills in the house of origin."
- "The second deadline is for committees to act favorably on bills, or companions of bills, that met the first deadline in the other house."
- "The third deadline is for committees to act favorably on major appropriation and finance bills."
- "When a committee in either house acts favorably on a bill after a deadline established in the concurrent resolution, the bill must be referred in the Senate to the Committee on Rules and Administration and in the House of Representatives to the Committee on Rules and Legislative Administration for disposition. Either rules committee, when reporting a bill referred to the committee under this rule, may waive application of the rule to subsequent actions on that bill by other committees."